Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Vivaldi and the Seasons

It is springtime in the bluegrass of Kentucky. The air is fresh with the balmy zephyrs that usher in the reluctant spring and dispel the tenacious winter's thrall. The crab apples burst forth like popcorn in a sizzling pan, the magnolias softly open to reveal their spicy scent, and the daffodils and forsythia reflect the sun's golden charms. Friday begins that annual rite of primavera, the running of Keeneland meet. Though T. S. Elliott's Wasteland characterized April as the cruelest month," in the bluegrass it represents the joyous return of verdant life.

But a picture is worth a thousand words, and so with the following four views of Hindman Settlement School, I have saved you, the gentle reader, four thousand words of my purple prose.

3 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger Ron Pen said...

Dear Professor Glixon,
The fountain of florid prose emanating from your blog response belies the academic alacrity and precision of your usual prose. I am delighted to know that the spring comes to Vivaldi's homeland, albeit in a more leisurely manner. I shall look forward to your return to the verdant and pastoral bluegrass.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Keeks said...

You guys and your prose -- florid, purple, and whatnot -- goodness! I think I need to sit down....

Makes me miss the UK community, changed though I know it is.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Ron Pen said...

Dear Keeks,
I enjoyed the visit to your blogsite, verbal vomit and all...well, that was your phraseology. I might be more inclined to couch it in more florid and less lurid tems as literary reverse peristalsis or prosody regurgitation.

Sorry that you miss the UK community--perhaps changed from that which you knew, but still a collegial place in many ways. Sorry to note the sorry erosion and intrusion in your academic freedoms. More and more I realize that this is the cornerstone upon which our intellectual integrity is founded.

So we started this little blog entry with Vivaldi and a flippant ode to the seasons and ended up here with a serious statement about the importance of academic freedom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home